Botox For Men And How They Pay For It
Although women have always been the primary users of Botox injections, it has become considerably more popular amongst men over the last decade or so. The procedure involves injecting the botulinum toxin into the facial muscles to remove wrinkles, give skin a more firm look, and promote a more youthful appearance.
In 2019, men in the United States received just over half a million injections. This is a major increase in numbers compared to when Botox injections were first approved by the FDA in 2002.
Botox Is Gaining Popularity With Men
There is no denying the numbers - men are getting more Botox injections than ever before. This may seem strange to some people, especially those who have always seen these injections as a purely female-oriented procedure. While the reasons for this change in attitude are many, several factors are worth noting.
- Increased Prevalence Of Social Media: While social media may be a place where one can share their opinions of topics such as politics, current events, sports, and culture, it also broadcasts people's photos to a far greater audience than ever before. Because of this, some men may feel a sense of embarrassment when their social media pictures show them with wrinkles, crows feet, and other signs of aging
- Workplace Competition: Never before has there been such competition in the workplace. Good, well-paying jobs with a quality advancement trajectory seem to be rarer and rarer. Some men may feel as if hiding signs of aging will help them better compete against other, younger candidates
- Shift In Cultural Attitudes: Botox injections are not the only female-dominated beauty procedures that men have begun to take part in. Manicures, pedicures, and Bikini waxes have all experienced a strong rise in popularity from men
Where Are Men Getting Botox?
While there are some non-cosmetic medical uses of these injections, the vast majority of people who opt for Botox do so to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other facial features that are typically considered signs of old age. Below is a list of the most common areas where men receive injections.
- In the corners of the eyes to reduce the appearance of crow's feet
- Along the forehead to reduce creases and wrinkles
- Below the corners of the lips to diminish wrinkles
- Around the mouth to reduce the visibility of laugh lines
How Do Botox Injections Work
Almost everyone is familiar with these injections and what they are used for, but very few individuals understand how they work. Botulinum is a neurotoxin, which upon injections begins to disrupt the communications between certain neurotransmitters and the brain. This disruption causes the central nervous system to tell the muscles located at the injection site to relax instead of contract.
This relaxing of muscle tissue is what causes the reduction in the appearance of wrinkles. Typically, the effects can be seen 1 - 4 days after injections and 1 - 2 weeks to deliver full results. The reduction in wrinkles lasts roughly 3 - 4 months, after which more injections are required.
Understanding The Risks
The FDA did quite an extensive review of the safety profile of Botox injections leading up to its 2002 approval of the procedure. But, as with any medical procedures, the possibility of complications is still present.
Most Common Side Effects
- Excessive tears
- Flu-like symptoms
- Bruising and swelling at the injection site
Rare Side Effects
- Loss of muscle control
- Issues with speaking or swallowing
- Infection at the injection site
- Inability to control bladder
- Difficulty in breathing
How Much Does It Cost?
The American Society Of Plastic Surgeons website states that the average cost of a Botox procedure is $408. It is important to keep in mind that this cost can vary greatly depending on geographical location, doctor, and the patient's needs. In some areas, this cost can be more than double, whereas in other locations the procedure may cost as little as $300.
Unfortunately, not everyone has the cash on hand to pay for this procedure outright. This can be especially frustrating for individuals whose facial wrinkles are having a negative impact on their self-esteem.
Those in this position, especially individuals with a good credit score, should consider taking out a medical loan. There are several reputable online lenders that will approve the loan and deposit the funds in as little as 2 - 3 business days. Qualifying applicants can also enjoy a low APR and minimal origination fee.
Botox is a relatively low-cost procedure that can result in a more youthful appearance when performed by a qualified medical professional. It is important to be aware of all the potential side effects before deciding to go through with the procedure.